Thursday, July 5, 2012

Heating Out of House and Home

Well, by now everyone knows about the unbelievably fast moving storm that sent the DMV area into turmoil. We were out of power from 10:30pm Friday night until about 7am Wednesday morning.

Fortunately for us, the apartment stayed relatively cool allowing us to tough it out through the weekend and allowing Henley to stay in his own house during the days. Henley's napping schedule was not interrupted in case you were worried.
On Monday night I couldn't take it anymore and we checked into a hotel. This was Henley's first hotel experience. He settled in well the first night and only woofted at the door a few times when people passed. He did wake up a 5am and then again at 6:45am asking to go out, which isn't unusual for him when he's in a strange place. We didn't leave him in the hotel during the day, instead opting to take him back home so he could be somewhere he knew and was comfortable. This also meant Hunter could stop in midday and take him out.

As you can see from the pictures, Henley made use of the hotel just fine. He had no problem sleeping on the couch and when I returned from breakfast the morning we checked out, I found him in the center of our unmade bed. If dogs can have an "I'm busted" face, I sure saw his. I managed to stop laughing long enough to snap a pic of him trying to get down before I really noticed he was there. Sorry dude, it doesn't work that way. We have allowed him on our bed at home, but our new bed frame is higher then our old and he just isn't comfortable trying to jump up anymore. Clearly, he couldn't resist the temptation at The Residence Inn.

All in all, while the power outage sucked, we were lucky in that we sustained no damage other then the contents of our fridge having to be tossed. I will say that I would like to have a better plan for if we ever need to abandon our house again. When you have a pup to think of,  it adds to the stress. Hunter was amazing and remembered to pack everything Henley could want at the hotel, save treats & toys. But he had his own bed, which in any crisis is sometimes the best comfort you could ask for.

Good luck to those still waiting for their power to come back on and Shiba smiles to all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...