Since we've almost had Henley for a year, I often forget that there's still a ton to learn about him. It feels like he's always been with us. But I forget he's still figuring out the way things work. For him every day brings something new that he didn't see yesterday. I expect this must be what it's like for people with children; always watching their offspring discovering the world, but with less fur and nibbling.
For example, this morning Hen had a lot of energy. I credit his sleeping in (he slept all the way until 6:45a) and the cool weather. He couldn't wait to get outside and trotted along at a brisk pace along our regular route. My foot accidentally kicked an acorn out in front of him and wah la, a new very entertaining game was born. It's like he discovered acorns for the first time.
He would run like the wind after each acorn, accidentally run past it, turn around, pounce, pick it up and lastly, drop it from his mouth. They are of course small enough to fully fit in his mouth, but he wasn't interested in chewing or eating them. Just catching, picking up and dropping. I would roll one acorn after another and he reacted the same way every time. Pure glee. You could almost hear him saying, again, again.
So, we'll see if the acorn game is as fun tomorrow morning when it's not new anymore....
No comments:
Post a Comment