Monday, December 19, 2011

10 Reasons To Love A Shiba


This post is dedicated to a college friend who posted on FB that she wanted a Shiba Inu for Christmas. In case she or her husband have any doubts or need help deciding why a Shiba is for them, we compiled 10 reasons we LOVE Shibas!

10. Self-Cleaning Shiba: Really, Shibas are like cats, they like to be clean. We can't say they'll never jump in the mud or roll around in the dirt, but for the most part, they stay clean by grooming themselves. Our Shiba HATES the water and refuses to go near puddles, boy are we lucky!

9. Scratch & Sniff: Shibas don't smell like “dog”. You won't walk into a Shiba's house and smell him or her. Even when our Shiba gets soaked he doesn’t really get wet dog smell. Bonus.

8. Mute Button: Just to be clear, they CAN bark and will, but speaking for our Shiba, he rarely barks and only when playing or startled. He's very quiet otherwise and doesn't bark unless he has a good reason. That said, he will make himself know when he's unhappy. see "#7: Shiba Scream"

7. Shiba Scream: Now most people would list this as a reason NOT to have a Shiba, but I think it's something that sets the breed apart from all others. It's their way of letting you know they are NOT happy. It's high-pitched, gut-wrenching and unlike anything you'll ever hear. Fortunately, it's been our experience that well-adjusted Shibas rarely do this so it shouldn’t be a deterrent.

6. Shiba Cam: Ok, so this isn't a legit reason to adopt a Shiba, but what other breed has a live streaming camera featured on the TODAY show? http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba

5. Perfect Fit: Shibas are a great size. They can run the range anywhere from 15-35lbs or more, but reasonably speaking you're probably looking at between 18-23lbs. That's a great size for people in apartment dwellings like us. In addition to fitting well in small spaces, 30lbs or less is a manageable size for those of us on the petite side. If I need to, I can still pick up Henley. They may be a small/medium breed, but they don’t look like “purse dogs” and husbands/boyfriends won’t be ashamed to be seen walking them.

4. Wardrobe Change: I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't shed, but Shiba shedding is not that bad on the whole. Shibas do blow their coat twice a year and although it can seem, and really is, a ton of fur at the time, shedding the rest of the year is bearable. I have to say, besides the places where Henley sleeps, we aren't constantly finding fur during non-coat blowing times.

3. Hey Foxy: I mean seriously, how can you not love a dog that looks like a F-O-X?!

2. Independence Day: Shibas are notoriously independent which is great for anyone who works a normal 9 to 5 … or these days a 7 to 7. They aren't overly clingy and seem to enjoy being left on their own. However, that doesn't mean they won't be deliriously happy to see you when you get home. They do have a reputation for being aloof, but I think it's a myth because Henley, as well as all of his cousins, is very friendly and loves to snuggle!

1. Henley: I mean seriously, if you're half as lucky as we are, you'll get a Shiba like Henley. He's a great addition to our family and we couldn't imagine life without him!

1 comment:

  1. I immediately posted this on Brian's facebook wall and told him he had to read it. It's all so true! I never realized that our house was a dog house until we got our sheltie! Robin Hood is the cleanest dog on EARTH! And adorably foxy as well! Happy HOlidays to you and Henley!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...